Wednesday, May 07, 2014

Wrong impressions

Case One.
The student walked in a confrontational manner towards the counter.
In my mind, I was bracing myself for yet another 'drama'.
"Oh no, here it comes..."
"Miss, can I donate these books?"
I was utterly taken aback.
I shouldn't have so quickly jumped to conclusions.

Case Two.
As I was chatting happily with my good friends over dinner, the waitress came with my very much anticipated Banana Boat Ice-cream dessert.
I was terribly disappointed that she'd bring it over when I had specifically requested it to be sent only after everyone at the table have finished their main course.
I tried explaining my request again to her, but she wouldn't even look at me.
Instead, she looked at her colleagues at the kitchen, gesturing impatiently.
I really felt she was too quick to push the responsibility away.
Her facial expression and gestures were was very rude.
Later, I saw her smiling to a child at the next table.
I thought she looked more amiable then.
She caught me looking at her and came over my table.
She gestured in her crude sign language, asking if I want my food now.
Only then, it dawned to me that she was hearing-impaired.
My annoyance was immediately extinguished.
My Banana Boat Ice-cream dessert was served to me half-melted, and my Neapolitan was completely strawberry.
But I wasn't angry.

Matter of fact, I felt a bit shameful that I was too quick to react.

No comments: