Friday, May 16, 2014

My philosophy for a happy life: Sam Berns


"What daily challenges of Progeria do you face?"
And I’d like to say that, even though I have Progeria, most of my time is spent thinking about things
that have nothing to do with Progeria at all.
Now this doesn’t mean that I ignore the negative aspects of these obstacles.
When I can’t do something like run a long distance, or go on an intense roller coaster, I know what I’m missing out on.
But instead, I choose to focus on the activities that I can do through things that I’m passionate about,
However, sometimes I need to find a different way to do something by making adjustments,
and I want to put those things in the "can do" category.

The next aspect to my philosophy is that I surround myself with people I want to be with, people of high quality.
Now we’re kind of goofy, a lot of us are band geeks, but we really enjoy each other’s company,
and we help each other out when we need to.
We see each other for who we are on the inside.
What I love about being in a group like the band, is that the music that we make together, is true, is genuine, and it supersedes Progeria.

Here’s a quote by a man you may know, named Walt Disney, and it’s one of my favorite quotes.
"I always try to have something to look forward to.
Something to strive for to make my life richer. "
It doesn’t have to be big. It could be anything from looking forward to the next comic book to come out,
or going on a large family vacation, or hanging out with my friends, to going to the next High School football game. 
However, all of these things keep me focused, and know that there’s a bright future ahead,
and may get me through some difficult times that I may be having.
Keep moving forward.

Now this mentality includes staying in a forward thinking state of mind.
I try hard not to waste energy feeling badly for myself, because when I do, I get stuck in a paradox, where there’s no room for any happiness or any other emotion.
Now, it’s not that I ignore when I’m feeling badly,
I kind of accept it,
I let it in, so that I can acknowledge it, and do what I need to do to move past it.
When I was younger, I wanted to be an engineer.
I wanted to be an inventor, who would catapult the world into a better future.

And sometimes I had to be brave, and it wasn’t always easy.
Sometimes I faltered, I had bad days, but I realized that being brave isn’t supposed to be easy.
And for me, I feel it’s the key way to keep moving forward.
So with this philosophy, I hope that all of you, regardless of your obstacles,
can have a very happy life as well.

Oh, wait, hang on a second,
one more piece of advice –-

Never miss a party if you can help it.
My school’s homecoming dance is tomorrow night, and I will be there.
Thank you very much.

No comments: