Wednesday, February 01, 2006

That's Me! That's Me! Part2

This letter was published in NST on Feb 17, 2004. Got color some more wor.... ^-^ Hehehe

No Help For Crime Victim In The Bus
I read a book that says, "True evil is when good people let bad things happen". I never quite truly understood what the author meant until a recent incident on a bus to Mid Valley Megamall. Minutes after the bus left Bangsar station, I heard shouts from the back of the bus.

''Tolong! Please help! He took my mobile phone! He has a pair of scissors in his hand!" I turned around to see a teenage boy pleading to get his mobile phone back from a person he said had stolen it. Seeing that nobody made any move to help him, he tried to get it back himself.

The physically larger man, of course, pretended that he didn't know what the boy was talking about. He violently pushed the youth back into his seat. The youth refused to give up and this seemed to ignite the anger of the assailant who elbowed him in the face several times.

All eyes were on them and yet not a single person bothered to say anything, let alone help. In the end, due to the attention, the man gave up.
As the bus driver puuled over at the megamall and the frightened boy quickly fled with his mobile phone into the complex.

There were at least 25 people in the bus. All of us watched this without interfering. I write this out of guilt because, though being physically weaker, I could have done something although I am not sure what. All I said was "Mencuri ke?" out loud. I was the only one who bothered to say something.

I truly wonder who that boy was more frightened of, the robber or US; the kind of people who encourage crime.
Y.H (Sg Buloh)

No comments: