Friday, February 10, 2006

Han Han Belacan

I grew up in SS2.

That's what I would call, my kampung.

Or in the more urbanised term, my turf.

A few weeks ago, I met up with a friend somewhere closeby SS2.

I passed by my old house.

Needless to say, memories came gushingly choking to my mind and emotion.

I will detour to an old writing of mine to illustrate my point.

Written on March 6, 2004.
I was stunned this morning by a piece of obituary advertisement. I was browsing through the Star newspaper and suddenly this piece of ad caught my attention because the person in the photo looked so young.
The first thing that came into mind was,
"Poor thing, so young, just three years my senior."
As my eyes browsed the name, my heart missed a beat.

The name, which I read again and again, confirmed that he was indeed my neighbour back in SS2.
I just couldn't believe it. My sister told me not long ago that she met him in a cineplex in 1 Utama.

My thoughts then recounted the history of our childhood together.

Yes, I do remember him being ill.
As children, we never ask him what caused him to frequent the hospital.
Until today, I am ashame to say that I don't know what is his actual illness.
We simply grew apart as we grew up.

When we were children, the neighbours will all come out to play in the evening. It's as if all of us have some highly-complex-in-built sensory in each of us because no invitation was ever needed.
Our favourite game? 'Catching' - what the ang mohs call, Tag.

I remember him being one of the fastest runner. He, knew this, but never used it to his advantage. He had always given us (the younger girls) allowance of time to run ahead of him when he is nearing us and we just panicked and kneel down. (sign of surrender, if u recall the rules)

Perhaps, he didn't want the game to end so soon.
"Ok, ok, I give you 10 seconds ah... 1...2...3.."
Sometimes, if the competition stiffens, the counting tempo varies, of course.

He was a good boy and I know for a fact that he grew up a gentleman. I remember he had a very domineering and obnoxious younger sister who always hit and shout at him. But never once have I witnessed him returning any of those physical nor verbal blows. That sister of his was always screaming and crying to have her way, and he always tirelessly pacify her so that the parents need not interfere.

Having said this, I also remember being jealous of the sister for having him as kor kor.

He had bestowed a nickname for me.
"Han, Han -Belacan" ^_^ (This must be chanted in a melodious tune.)

I have read and heard many times that good men die young.
Today, I'm certain of such claims.

Goodbye Marcus Kor Kor.
Till we meet again, maybe we can play 'catching' again. And this time, I'll give you the allowance of 10 seconds
.

In the loving memory of Marcus Chong (21.5.1978 - 5.3.2004)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

a rose blooms
and then fades
but the beauty,
and the fragrance,
are remembered always...