Sunday, February 12, 2006

Realism Vs Idealism

In David Ogilvy’s An Autobiography, there was one part where he advised his readers NEVER to personally meet their favorite writers or musicians. I can relate to this advice very well.

I used to be a big fan of a Star’s columnist. I anticipated her weekly columns, filed some of her work and bought her first book without hesitation.

So, it’s understandable why I was excited to ‘Meet the Author’ in the local bookstore in mid-year 2001.
I was waitress-ing in the Japanese restaurant above the bookstore in that particular shopping complex.

The scheduled time was 2.30pm. Needless to say, that was the peak hour of any eatery place on weekends.
But due to my delirious loyalty to her, I lied to the supervisor that I had something urgent to take from the car, and ran two floors down with my Japanese uniform.

I know I can’t possibly have a decent conversation with her, but all I wanted was just to see her. That’s all, just a peek and off I’ll go – I thought. (At that time, Star doesn’t publish their columnists’ face)

How disappointed that there wasn’t anybody. The ‘Meet the Author’ table looked deserted. It was 2.50pm. I went to the information counter and asked about it.
“Over, so soon?”
“Oh no, she’s a bit late”
I was disappointed and resumed my work at the restaurant.

3.30pm – I ran down again. The counter in the bookshop still looked deserted. The shop assistant said it was canceled. ‘What a pity that my excitement was so short lived’ – I thought.

On my break, 5.00pm I habitually strolled to that bookshop. She was there. Since I already have her book, I didn’t want to buy another one just to own the privilege of shaking hands with her. I stood by the side and passively observed her. It was fulfilling.

At dinner time, I was very joyously surprised to see her again patronizing the restaurant. I told her that I’m her fan and we briefly exchanged some opinions. She even politely obliged to entertain my idea of her coming to my school to give a talk. I gave her my contact number and was hopeful for the idea to conceptualize.

She DID call me. But it wasn’t about the talk. She wanted to know if I’m interested to give tuition to her daughter. I thought, ‘Wow….she wants ME to tutor her kid?’. Unfortunately, her schedule can’t meet mine so instead I promised I’ll keep her posted on the availability of my friends. I asked about the fee.
“Rm 5”
“An hour?”
“Yes.”

Oh God. This will be hard. Where on earth can I find such person who’s willing to travel to her house bi-weekly, to teach a 7 year-old girl one to one, for RM 5 an hour?

God loves her. I DID manage to find one. A financially-desperate UM student Jiejie was willing to take the offer.

Months later, I was given a piece of homework of interviewing someone we admire. I immediately thought of her. I called her. She didn’t sound friendly this time. But I persisted. She reluctantly agreed.

I went to her house. I was very shocked to find out that she lives so near the shopping complex itself (where I had first met her).

I pressed the door bell. Her maid came to the door.
I was left seated alone at the living room for 2 mins before she came down. I was very surprised once again, seeing her clad in clothes I had presumed to be her sleeping clothes. It was 2.30pm.

No customary polite greeting. No offer of refreshment.
Just repetition on WHY I shouldn’t interview her.

I brushed her comments aside and immediately asked her relevant questions to fulfill my homework requirement. I assure you, they are NOT personal questions.
She was visibly very annoyed.

She :What you are asking me are silly questions! All you want to know are all clearly written in my book.
Me : I’m just asking you the questions my teacher has set in her guidelines.
She : Well, teachers aren’t always right, are they?
Me : I…….
She : Let me teach you.


She went on with her ramblings. I was close to tears. She left me with the excuse that she needs to prepare to go out soon. Her maid saw me to the door.

I left that place trying hard to correlate her with her stance in chosen issues she had written about and her tone of expression in her columns.

I was very green, very naïve back then.

Today, I still pay attention to her columns. But just with a different outlook.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

i guess its true they say, that ppl are never really who we perceived them to be. But i think seeing the nasty side of a person only makes them more real..so i guess ur xperience with her was peek into the 'real world'? yeah the real world where everyone puts on a mask! heh....i still read her column tho, but i always rmrb this story whenever i read it..haha human after all...just like us.=)

Anonymous said...

i guess its true they say, that ppl are never really who we perceived them to be. But i think seeing the nasty side of a person only makes them more real..so i guess ur xperience with her was peek into the 'real world'? yeah the real world where everyone puts on a mask! heh....i still read her column tho, but i always rmrb this story whenever i read it..haha human after all...just like us.=)