Friday, February 17, 2006

Loyalty Points

Proprietors often reward their loyal customers. Membership benefits. Points accumulation. Good rapport with the staff.

But what rewards do we gain for being loyal to friends? It takes great disciplinary ethics to uphold the unwritten rules of the ‘good friend’ pledge.

  • Never never say anything behind her back what you wouldn’t say to her at her face.
  • Be genuinely upset or provoked, when your friend’s interest is at stake.

It ain’t easy. I don’t claim that I can adhere to these rules. TWO basic GOLDEN rules.

I remember watching a scene from a Korean movie. A youth (B) was beating up a schmuck because the schmuck had used the girl (B) liked, to get his way. (B)’s friends came and pulled (B) away. Schmuck was injured and threatens to report him to headmaster. Schmuck is the headmaster’s golden boy. The leader of the (B)’s group of friends smacked Schmuck at the face.

"Yeah, remember to include my name too."

The other friends from behind nodded in unity.
Schmuck knows he’s now dealing with some serious shit.


**Walking out of the uni with a friend, H. **

Me = U know, V was very rude to Z just now.
H = What do u mean?
Me = I mean, he has the right not to like her. But still as the course representative, he should maintain his image and have the decency to be reasonably ‘not so rude’.
H = U know Z. It’s hard to bear with her.
Me = Yeah… But I guess as her friend, I feel that I'm somewhat offended. Coz I know she’s too angelically oblivious to such rudeness. She doesn’t even realize when she is being short changed. U know, it’s not the first time I’ve seen V being so rude to her.
H = Wah, tak sangka u so ‘kong yi hei’ – righteous.

As we continued to walk in silence, I was wondering why am I being so aggressively sensitive about it.


I should really watch lesser tv.

No comments: