Sunday, March 26, 2006

Another BOoBoO


I made another boo boo.

Yesterday was the Guardian 10,000 steps charity walk. As noble as it may sound, the management planning was a great disaster.

As I was resting under the small tent, (very lucky due to the fact that the seats were very limited) I saw a lady with an elaborated lanyard around her neck which led me to believe that she must be somebody in charge. She was giving one of her staff an earful.
Apparently, she too, must have noticed some things that were amiss with the event.

She sat at a VIP designated resting area in front of me. Mind you, there were couch, ceiling fan, coffee table, flowers on the table, little hors-d’oeuvres on their little plates served by their not-so-important staff.

I just fought the crowd for my well deserved goodie bag, (in reward of finishing the walk) only to be disappointed that the food they promised was actually just a bottle of drinking water, two pieces of sandwiches and a rotiman- butter slice.(Hmm, the rotiman’s version seems to be larger)

My anger was slowly mounting.

VIP lady stood up from her seat. She began to walk away. I approached her. @ # @ #

Stupidly Opinionated Lady in Desperation; (SOLD) aka Me : Excuse me, who are you? (trying to read her lanyard)
VIP: (Saw immediately that I had a number on my shirt which means I’m just a participant, a nobody in her eyes). Why? How can I help you?

*another lady in waiting whom I presume to be her poor sidekick comes and explain that VIP lady is some big shot in Guardian (organizer) hierarchy. I’m hardly neither impressed nor deterred.

Me: Well, you sat here and made a speech just now, obviously you’re somebody who were at the top making decisions about the planning of this event. You do know that there were many hiccups in this event?
VIP
: (confused both by my boldness and my unidentifiable fake accent; which was honestly unintentional). Yes, I heard that there was some confusion at the direction of the walking route.
Me
: That was just ONE unhappy issue. This event was poorly managed from the beginning. It says on the paper that it starts at 7.30am. What time did it start? There were no designated line for people to queue;
  • no effort whatsoever was made to handle the traffic flow of people, no proper t-shirt size available for the early comers BUT for the late comers due to your inefficient delivery,
  • you confiscate our water bottles at the entrance and DIDN’T provide us any much needed beverage until the END of the walk, you count your blessings nobody fainted of dehydration,
  • ah, and the direction of the route, oh I don’t need to tell you about that, now do I?
  • and the participants were allowed to obtain as many stamps on their ticket as they desire regardless if they really DID walk the walk or not. That’s not fair, because your goody bags are limited to the first 5,000 completed tickets.
  • Now, I only bother to approach you because I feel sorry for your hardworking staffs who are trying to make this event a success. But because of poorly made planning management decisions by the top, they were subjected to stress at the peak and verbal abuse by the participants.

I’m happy to be here. Should you hold this event again next year, I will come. But much improvement needs to be made.
Thank you for your time.


*I walk away.

The sidekick comes running to me apologizing profusely.

The VIP continue talking to another of her equal.

No comments: