Wednesday, April 05, 2006

Strangers are friends?

I truly enjoy my encounters with strangers.
Yesterday in the LRT, I was seated next to this gorgeous Eurasian young lady. The book she was reading caught my attention.
‘Echoes of Silence’.
Yes, I initiated a conversation with her.
We talked about Asian authors, both local and international.
All from Taman Paramount to KL Central station, about 20 minutes of travel.

Last Monday, after having read 4 local newspapers, harassed friends via sms, ate my nasi lemak (while sitting on the floor ala beggar because the gardener nearby had expressively watered all the benches and the canteen was closed for construction),
my mind was almost numb after waiting for almost 3 hours in the hospital waiting area. I desperately needed to amuse myself.

Aha! Caught a Malay man with a Stephen Covey book on his lap. Why he’s not reading it?, I am just as puzzled.
Started to converse with him about other books of the similar genre. He too agreed that Robert Kiyosaki’s books were crap but the marketing implementation was utmost admirable. I was surprised that he’s never heard of Chicken Soup for the Soul.
The most amusing part? He was wondering my ethnicity because we were switching randomly from Malay to English and back again.

Today, I had to buy a proper pair of badminton shoes. Chatted with the sales assistant. Found out that he just got his SPM results and now considering his next pivotal move in life. Ah Fook lives nearby and loves sports. Currently active in basketball and marathon events. I gave him my number and invited him to join me for the next badminton game. Oh! I’m soeasy*Blush*

I once ridiculed Carlsberg’s tagline.
'Strangers are friends you have not met.'
Hmmm….

No comments: