Monday, April 10, 2006

Nope, guess again

Writing disciplines the mind.
What about talking?
Talking discovers the mind?

Once again, my gift of the gap surprised myself.
I was in the Jacuzzi with a sweet middle aged Indian lady from Bangloo, southern of India. (if I got the spelling wrong, please write me a hate mail)

It was so funny. I started out…
Me: Both of us must be crazy to be in a Jacuzzi at this hour of the day, eh? (It was sizzling noon)
She: Sorry, I’m not Malaysian. Can you speak English?
Me: (wanting to drown myself in Jacuzzi). *Clearing my throat* I was speaking English.

She comforted me by explaining that I’m the first Malaysian face she has encountered who speaks English, err… the way I do.

Although this nice lady travels quite a bit outside her home, I’m surprised at how little she knew about Malaysia.
I did Malaysia proud by explaining some stuff to her. *Wink*

Then she began posting personal questions to me.
Once again, my background was presumably misunderstood.
Confused that her presumptions were ALL wrong, she asked me how I know so much about …the things I had just said.
I answered,
“Well, books, newspapers, TV, movies and computer. As long as I have the willingness to absorb new information, the entire world is under my feet”

She nodded and smiled approvingly.
Wah Lau! Bulls’ eye! If it was a job interview, I had aced it.

Got to go now, need to inject myself with some humility.

No comments: