Thursday, April 13, 2006

educated N careful?

Scene 1:
Was in MPH, overheard a couple negotiating on whether to purchase a table globe atlas.
I couldn’t resist, “Excuse me, do u have the MRC card?”
Skeptical Husband: No, why?
Me: I have it; it entitles you to a 10% discount. Considering your purchase, I think the 10% in this case is quite significant. You may use mine.
Skeptical Husband (SH): And…? *anticipating me to proceed my proposal*
Me: What? You think there’s a catch? You think I might want you to split your 10% savings with me. *SH had believed this phrase, so I quickly added* No, no. I pay an annual membership fees regardless how I utilize the privilege.

Scene 2:
Also at MPH, was stretching my neck at the cashier line to see if there’s anyone who’d be paying more than Rm50. I had a voucher which entitles a Rm5 discount of for purchase of that amount.
Finally found one. A nice young mother queuing to pay children’s book (which I think are seriously overpriced). I explained to her that she could use my voucher.
She clenched on to her purse tighter.
I couldn’t be bothered and just handed the voucher over to the cashier who understood my intention immediately.

Testimony by online friend:
He told me that on Valentines’ Day, he bought stalks of roses with the intention to give them away randomly to strangers.
I was fascinated with the idea, instantly.
He told me that there were some young ladies who were not only skeptical but actually fearful of him.

Scene 3:
Outside a bank waiting for mom. Saw a man in ragged clothes, sitting by the pathway. Presumptuously thought that he’s not in good condition. I walked into the bakery next door and bought the first thing I wanted to eat.
Walked out of shop and passed the bun to him saying, “Abang, ni saya belanja”Brother, this is my treat. I swiftly walked off. I turned around, and was relieved to see him chewing the bun. He smiled at me.

# @ # @

What? Are we now just too ‘educated’ and careful’ to sanely receive kind gestures from others? Or is it because it’s just not part of our modern civilized everyday practice?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

haih.. nowaday where got ppl so kind? ppl always thinking how to take advantage on other... easy to said.. hard to find so king ppl like YOU!! haha... but plz always do so coz only god will reward u.. peace.....

from didi