Thursday, March 08, 2007

out of place

It’s funny how a momentary of thought could affect me.
I was chatting with R- asking to exchange snippets of childhood as to entertain ourselves.

“I’ve never been to kindergarten, no one taught me to read and I wasn’t those child prodigies who can teach themselves.
So I entered Std 1, completely illiterate.
My mother wrapped my books with white calendar paper.
When the teacher requested us to take out our books, I didn’t know which one.
I had to open all my book covers to identify them according to color.
Everyone knew what to do and they had those fancy plastic transparent wrappers on the covers.
I felt really confused and inferiorly stupid.
I was so out of place.”

How was I to know that it was a feeling that was meant for me to carry the rest of my life?

And oops! Sorry R, we didn’t get to your story, till next time k? I look forward to it.

No comments: