Wednesday, July 03, 2013

Mitchell's journey

“Let me tell you why I think you’re as strong as people get: real strength is doing the right thing when nobody is looking … and you have always done that. You are trustworthy and obedient and good. I am so proud to call you my son. Strength, the kind of strength that matters, isn't found in the body, but in the soul. And Mitch, you have a very strong soul. I love you so much.”

 There have been agonizing moments, while stumbling in the pitch darkness of grief and loss that my soul has cried out “if anyone deserved to live, it was my son”, and that I should have been taken instead. Then a whisper to my soul reminded me death is not punishment, but rather a transition from one state of being to another.
I was reminded of an 18th Century philosopher who said “We are not human beings having a spiritual experience; we are spiritual beings having a human experience.” The purpose of life: a masterfully calculated landscape of hardship, happiness and putting trust in things that are invisible to the eye but discerned spiritually … all in an effort to refine our souls.

And while the world seems in a constant state of unrest and war … I find myself ever more concerned about the quiet battles of the soul … the kind of battles that destroy us from within. Those, too, are battles worth fighting – and fighting well. Taken from Mitchellsjourney

No comments: