Saturday, July 20, 2013



Tsang Tsz-Kwan is blind, severely hearing impaired, and has limited sensitivity in her fingers. Instead of giving up on reading, though, the 20-year-old from Hong Kong has taught herself how to read Braille with her lips.
And she's met great success -- Tsang scored within the top 5 percent of almost all of her subjects in Hong Kong's college entrance examination, CNN reports. Because of her disabilities, she could have opted not to take the tests, according to the South China Morning Post.
But she decided that wasn't an option. "I have to accept I'm disadvantaged ... I decided to take the challenge whatever the results," she told the paper. "I think the most important thing is the courage to face the challenge."
She now hopes to study translation in college so she can share with the world the things she loves to read. According to the Hong Kong Standard, Tsang is also working to urge her government to not scale back on courses for the disabled.
 "The inconveniences and limitations [my impairments] bring will follow me my whole life," Tsang told CNN. "And I must have the courage to face the facts ... I'm going to treasure what I still have."

No comments: