Monday, April 14, 2008

You can take an inquisitive mind out of journalism, but you can never take journalism out of an inquisitive mind.. – (at least in my case)
I received a phone call last Thursday night at 9.30pm, inviting me for a job interview.
He didn’t offer the usual protocol-like information, and I had to tiresomely ask the questions one after another.
I told him that I was unavailable.
In response, he just mumbled something and hung up.
Yesterday, (Sunday) I received another call from this company, but with a different voice.
The conversation was smoother, but the poor chap sounded so drained and miserable.

My brother asked, “So, are you going for that funny company tomorrow? It’s quite a travel, you know. Rush hour, some more.”

“Hmm, I don’t know lar. A part of me wants to go, but the lazy bugs are biting ferociously. I’ll decide tomorrow morning,” mentally opting to make a last-minute cancel.
I didn’t feel that they deserve professional courtesy from me anyway.
So, I was at a comfortable spot.

Fate has it that I woke up feeling quite refreshed today.
“Ah, go lar. Nothing to lose,” I thought optimistically.

My nerves reached an even more comfortable level when I finally found the place.
I felt really very good about this appointment, as I was 10 minutes early,
I filled up the usual form, but was disappointed that the form was poorly made.
I thought it asked quite a lot of unnecessary mundane questions and the space provided was hilarious.
Seated on the comfortable couch, I could hear the usual Monday-Power-Meeting.
‘Wow, the boss is very fiery with expectations.’
‘Competition is tight, I expect.’
‘Well, only with competition can we improve’

- My thoughts continue trying to figure out the company.

When I was finally called in the room for interview, I saw a middle-age Chinese lady with an Indian man.
My mind kept guessing who calls the shot here..
“Sit down. Now tell me how good your command in English, Malay and Chinese is,” the man said rapidly. (Too rapid for my taste, if you ask me.)
“Aiya, she’s checking out your room!” The lady exclaimed.

I was taken aback because my concentration was diverted and I thought it was rude to address me as a third person when I’m right in front of her.

Although the interview process was bad, I felt very good about it.
It helped me deduce my concerns that have been circling my thoughts for the past week.
I had back my confidence, my asset which I thought I could never retrieve.
I wasn’t afraid, but was at ease.
I answered his questions how I thought appropriate.
It was then, that magic happened.
The tables turned.
He was following my rhythm and flow of conversation.
The interview ended quickly because I got what I wanted and simply excused myself.

As, I strolled out of the office, my mind was questioning at the possible cause of the change.

I got my conclusion when I reached KLCC.
He was doubtful of my identity, thinking that I’m a journalist who perhaps is doing an undercover.

What a day! I have so many more stories to tell.
All because I woke up on time.
=)

No comments: