Sunday, June 15, 2014

 "I am a prisoner serving my last month. I did some fraud in my business and ended up behind bars."
"What was the fraud all about?"
"Don't want to remember the past lah. What will happen if I regret it now? Whatever happened, happened, and I have no control over it now. I have learned my lesson - I won't do it again, but I will also move on with my life. I want to continue my cleaning job now."
"Why is that?"
"Because I am older, and it is simpler."

"I was born with a congenial cataract, so I had to wear thick glasses throughout school. It was about 2000 degrees, so I was bullied a lot. Then in secondary 3, my friend told me that one of my eyes was deviating outwards. 
It's called exotropia, and it gave me a lot of self-esteem problems in communicating with people, because it was very hard to make eye contact with them. But things changed when I joined Poly. I was selected to go for an ambassador workshop from my department, where I came across toastmasters. It was a very encouraging environment, and I started reading self-help books, watching YouTube videos of inspiring speeches. 
It allowed me to try new things, become more outgoing with people, and be more humble."
"In what way?"
"In accepting my disability as an asset rather than a misfortune. In the words of my adopted mentor, 'Anything worth doing is worth doing badly until you get it right.' Which is why I'm now studying optometry, so that I can help people with similar conditions to mine."

No comments: