Friday, March 01, 2013

Went to this Tzu Chi neighbourhood event with Mother.
She needed someone to drive her there.
I could sense her desperation and relented.
She promised that we'd leave in an hour's time, after the dinner.

But after we had eaten, I felt it was a bit rude to leave as it would have been too conspicuous.
The exit was too far.
So, we stayed on.

There was a segment of games and this old uncle volunteered to play.
It was charades.
The paper the answer was written on was quite transparent and people at the front could see it.
But this uncle didn't realised it.
He was very into the game and we could see just how much he was enjoying himself.
How his face would lit up when we had the answer.
We, at the front, didn't spoil the fun for him either.
We didn't guessed the answer immediately, instead, we just play along until the 'right' time came for us to just give the answer.

He was very happy when we were announced as the winning group.
No prize whatsoever, but he was very delighted.
I could see that he really made effort to dress up for the occasion, unlike the rest of us who were overly casual.
That night really mattered to him.
And because it mattered, he found joy.
And because I felt people like him mattered, I took this photo.
And because I applaud people who organise events like this, I wrote this post.
Humanity is not lost.

No comments: