Thursday, September 23, 2010

Today, I chatted with my colleague about our bad parking experiences.
When I first started driving, I always thought that the car nearest to the available parking space is the one rightful to it.
However, these days, that rule is no longer observed in busy car park areas.
The rule now simply is, 'Who can squeeze into the space first'.
And if you're not happy with it, you'd have to confront your opposing driver.
With that sort of driver who doesn't observe the former rule, you can expect an unpleasant confrontation.
Therefore, most of us would just curse our bad luck and drive away.
Thus, the new rule is enforced.
--Car parks prioritises the road bullies--

But this one incident really caused me to type this blog entry.
My car was blocked by a double-parked car.
The car didn't leave his immediate contact number on the dashboard and had left me waiting at my car for 40mins despite numerous horn blasting attempts.
I was very relieved when the owner of the car next to me came to take something from her car.
With great joy and hope, I asked if she could just move her car just momentarily to give way for me.

Her answer shocked me.
"What if I lose this parking space?"
I explained that she can reverse her car towards to traffic flow, which will guarantee her parking space from being taken away.
She gave it a 5 seconds thought.
"Er, no lar. You just wait for a few minutes lar. Office hours ends in a few minutes, that driver will come soon."
She left me dumbfounded.

I could have been more persuasive, but I was too shocked that a person can be that selfish.
Office hours ends in MORE than an hour's time!
I was too shocked to say anything to her and just watched her walk away in hurry.
The double-parked driver came after an hour's time waiting, but it was that lady who perturbed me more.
I kept trying to play in my head.
Am I overreacting for being offended?
Perhaps it is the norm practice these days?
Sigh....
What is civilisation when courtesy is no longer observed?

You can easily judge the character of a man by how he treats those who can do nothing for him. ~James D. Miles

No comments: