Tuesday, May 26, 2015

I bumped into the old uncle who sleeps by the restaurant last night.

"Hi Uncle, how are you doing? Had your dinner?" (my usual greeting)
"Yes, yes. I have eaten." (his usual answer, touching his belly)

As I was about to quicken my pace to walk away, he surprised me by saying more.

*hokkien
"You're not from around here, are you? Your accent is foreign."
"Yup, I'm from *I mumbled something which I thought meant KL"
"Oh, you're from China?"
My brain frantically search for alternative explanation. No avail.
My vocabulary was only enough to say "No" accompanied by an exasperated look.
He continued, *the following is my own interpretation from the random isolated Hokkien words I understood from him.

"You are very different from the rest of the usual people who walk pass me. You greet me.
I truly appreciate it. Thank you.
I'm touched - (*kam tong - I'm so pleased that I had learnt this word earlier.)

Some people educated XXX (don't understand) illiterate XXX?? uneducated XXX?? look down upon me.
Many friends don't XXX??
I'm OK. At this age, I'm (at peace) kua pua.
I will die anytime.
Trouble breathing in the morning.
Different people have different fate.
XXX?? old folks home. XXX?? full of old people. XXX?? won't be hungry"

He went on and on.
My legs were in pins and needles from squatting.
My facial expression was obvious that I was struggling to understand him.
My blur face was on full blast mode.
And yet, he continued talking.
It was obvious, he really wanted somebody to talk to.
Even to a blur face.

I ask him what does he do in the daytime?
"Oh, I collect recyclables, I get a few dollars. It's ok."
"It's going to rain, won't you get wet? Cold?"
"Oh, a little . But I have a blanket, umbrella " patting his belongings.
"And your towel, I haven't forgotten" he smiled.
"Where are your children? Do you have any?"
This question seemed to have made him uncomfortable.
"No. No children. I didn't marry. XXX?? *many words I don't understand"

"Uncle, I will be moving soon. I doubt I'll be able to see you this often. Here take this for good luck"
I gave him some money, which he was reluctant to take. *he usually only accepts food.
I left it beside him and bade him farewell.
I will miss his toothless but very bright and sincere smile.
Even I can't muster that kind of brightness.

No comments: