Tuesday, March 17, 2015

A new small restaurant replaced the old one which closed down last month, and I saw the old uncle last night !
I greeted him and he was in a chatty mood.
I asked if he'd like some food.
"No thanks, I'm full" patting his stomach.
I looked at his belongings and nothing looked like food.
"Are you sure? I can get you something..."
"No no. I'm full" he insisted.
So, I just gave him a few dollars (he was reluctant to take it) and bade him goodnight.

I announced my joy to my housemate.
She didn't share my enthusiasm.
"We need to be careful with our kindness."
She shared a story about how some people rather spend money on cigarettes and alcohol than on proper food.
"They don't seem to have the appetite for food. They just don't get hungry"

I understand her point of view.
However, I believe one thing is universal.
We should never pretend we know what it's like to be in other people's shoes.

No comments: