Friday, March 06, 2015

I stepped into the lift and pressed my floor number.
Just then, the granny told her toddler grandson, whom she was carrying, "Fourteen".
The grandson couldn't recognize the number 14 but recognizes the number 10.
So, he counted upwards from 10, and pressed when he reached 14.

I instinctively complimented him, "Wah, Gau lor." - local dialect = "What, that's smart!"
He looked at me.
Only then I realized he has a form of disability.
I'm not sure what it is.
Addition to that, he has some vision difficulty in his left eye.
To my embarrassment, the grandma noticed that I have discovered that about her grandson.
My facial expression was on 'faraway dreamland' mode.

When I stepped out of the lift, I felt very guilty.
I hoped I didn't make them feel uncomfortable.
Perhaps, I shouldn't have stopped addressing the child.
Perhaps, I should have continued talking to him just like any other.

No comments: