Monday, February 11, 2008

It was very rare for three of us, me – sis – bro to be on the same table, doing the exact same thing. Twirling a traditional delicacy.
I decided to entertain everyone including myself with the story of my cousin’s wedding which neither my bro nor sis attended.

“It was a very delightful occasion.”I quoted every single antic of my uncles and aunties, adding our Hakka dialects, which was the core of the amusement.
My siblings laughed, because they could imagine the occasion very well too, knowing the main characters of my story.

“But then, hor… after the ceremony somebody said something really inappropriate. The bride took a bath and then the groom (Cousin S) asked his mother to cook noodles for the bride as she hasn’t eaten anything. I was reading a book, so I was just listening to the conversations half-heartedly. A woman said, “Wah, so fast the daughter-in-law wants to order the mother-in-law around.”I ended my story by saying that I can’t remember who said that. Or perhaps, I didn’t even recognize the voice as I wasn’t really paying attention. All I remember was thinking, “What an awful thing to say in front of all these relatives.”Later that night.
We were talking about this newly wed couple when Mother suddenly commented the incident again.
My sis and I exchanged looks. Both of us understood.
Mystery solved.

No comments: