Thursday, August 16, 2007

I"m feeling really really really guilty.

I'm always torn apart whenever I'm approached by beggars.

To give or not to give.

I read a very convincing article about us giving to beggars is more about maintaining our own image than about really GIVING.

The author made a very good point that if we are truly benevolent,
why aren't we doing the many OTHER things in life?

There are so many other proper and more effective ways of being charitable.

I thought I was convinced.


Today, at lunch, I was approached by this very pitiful looking old man.
Really pitiful looking.

I turned him away.
Honestly, if my colleagues weren't there, I would have given him something.
But it was due to my image.
I didn't want to let my image of 'gullible girl' to be reinforced.

Why oh Why do I still feel so bad?

No comments: