Friday, August 01, 2014

Saving Mr.Banks

Ralph: The sun came out again.
P.L. Travers: You say it like you're surprised, for goodness sake! It's California! I would much rather be accountable for the rain.
Ralph: That's sad.
P.L. Travers: Sad is entirely the wrong emotion! I shan't bother explaining why.
P.L. Travers: The rain gives life!
Ralph: So does the sun.
P.L. Travers: Be quiet!

[Travers gives Ralph a list of people to his handicapped daughter, Jane]
Ralph: "Albert Einstein, Van Gogh, Roosevelt, Frida Kahlo" - What is this?
P.L. Travers: They all had difficulties. Jane can do anything that anyone else can do, do you understand?
[beat]
P.L. Travers: Look on the back.
Ralph: [turns it over] "Walt Disney."
P.L. Travers: Deficiencies in concentration and hyperactive behavior. Explains everything!

Walt Disney: I don't tell you this to make you sad, Mrs. Travers. I don't. I love my life, I think it's a miracle. And I loved my dad. He was a wonderful man. But rare is the day when I don't think about that eight-year-old boy delivering newspapers in the snow and old Elias Disney with that strap in his fist.
And I am just so tired, Mrs. Travers. I'm tired of remembering it *that* way. Aren't you tired, too, Mrs. Travers? Now we all have our sad tales, buy don't you want to finish the story? Let is all go and have a life that isn't dictated by the past?
It's not the children she comes to save. It's their father. It's *your* father... Travers Goff.
P.L. Travers: I don't know what you think you know about me, Walter...
Walt Disney: You must have loved and admired him a lot to take his name. It's him this is all about, isn't it? All of it, everything. Forgiveness, Mrs. Travers, it's what I learned from your books.
P.L. Travers: I don't have to forgive my father. He was a wonderful man.
Walt Disney: No... you need to forgive Helen Goff. Life is a harsh sentence to lay down for yourself.
Don't you want to finish the story?


No comments: