Friday, August 01, 2014

“I think my grandfather may have the correct approach to art. He’s had a long career, and in his retirement he’s been working on building a boat.
I doubt he’ll ever finish it, but I don’t think that’s particularly important to him. He wakes up every morning, drinks his cup of coffee, then goes out to his workshop to sand a tiny portion of wood.
He doesn’t need to finish that boat to pay the rent. He can afford to have some distance from it, so he gets to enjoy it. He looks at that boat tenderly, like he looks at his grandkids.
He gets to have a dream without the necessity of achieving it.”

Of course the time I leave my camera at home, I run into this guy. Had to snap a pic with my phone anyway. He was making farm animal noises at passing pedestrians. "Got to make the best of it," he said.

No comments: