Thursday, January 17, 2013


Lynton Clarke is 74, and five days a week he gets on his bike at 5am to ride 2km to Stows Newsagency, in Bairnsdale. 
There he loads up the morning papers and starts his round. It takes him a little under two hours to deliver his 60 papers, then it's home for breakfast with his wife, Jan.
 Mr Clarke delivered his first newspaper about 62 years ago in Croydon. 
"We used to carry the papers in a sugar bag and pour hot water into the handlebars to keep our fingers warm," he said.
 "I retired from my round when I was about 14 but about nine years ago I realised I was walking every morning for fitness, so I decided to deliver papers and get paid to keep fit.
 "The newspaper round and a diet has helped me lose 13kg in that time." Mr Clarke's boss, Trevor Stow, says his paperboy is one of the best. 
"Lyn does his deliveries come rain, hail or shine," he said. "He's excellent and his service is appreciated by his customers. 
"He not only delivers the papers, but he places them in convenient positions for his customers to find. 
 "In wet weather he rides his bike up to the door of most houses and places the paper on the veranda to save his customers getting wet."
 Despite his years, Mr Clarke said he has no plans to retire. "Why would I? It's fun." Taken from HeraldSun

No comments: