Saturday, January 28, 2006

Who's the Fool?


As I was anticipating for another yet boring tutorial, my bored daze was interrupted by this 'made public' conversation of the IN crowd of the class.

M=aiya,F, quickly say something nice to V lar. Nanti he feel sad.
V=Wei! (grinning embarassingly) Enough ah...
F=*confused,but oblingingly cheerful* aiya, we are all classmates wat, when i say hello to you (M) means i'm saying hello to all of you lar.
M=No, V wants the personal greeting.
F=don't tease him lar, kesian him.
*the IN crowd breaks into laughter, accompanied by wolf whistles*

Only then, I realised wat's going on, they're teasing poor blissfully ignorant F.

My opinion of the In crowd had just been reinforced. Upper middle class students, smugly talented,not bad looking, confident, strongly proud and loyal to their herd. They're not mean people. It's just that ... sometimes they fail to differentiate between
  • laughing WITH her
  • laughing AT her

F may not be the girl you'd nudge your male friend to gaze upon on the streets, but she is the nicest girl i know in the class. On my first day, she was the first person to introduce herself to me. She was the first person to ask me if I wanted to join her group for assignment.

This tasteless scenario reminded me of the movie, Shallow Hal. As I tried to imagine myself with that superpower, I smiled to myself at the new perspective.

1 comment:

Kahani said...

omg.. I was treated like 'F' only far crueler throughout highschool. You'd think they'd quit this sort of thing by uni... -_-

And I was also very much aware of what they were doing. So much so that for years after leaving I couldn't take a compliment without looking for the insult.