Sunday, July 05, 2015

Again, I'm wrong about the people whom I thought to be 'ok'.
They started out so seemingly genuine.
Kind gestures, thoughtful acts, empathetic listeners.

I trust too easily.

Something happened this morning that made me think.
I was strolling along a busy road.
A very old dog approached me.
I remember feeling very sorry for it.
It seemed to be in despair.
Suddenly, it growled and opened its jaw near my leg.
I screamed !
Someone shouted at the dog, and it redrew.
But it came at me again, growling ...as determined as if its protecting its own life.
I screamed again.
Thank God a car came from behind and honked loudly.
The dog was frightened and finally left.

This incident is an excellent simile.
I can't blame myself for being there when that dog decides to go all crazy on me.
Sometimes, there is just no reason for it.
I can't drive myself crazy trying to figure out what went wrong.
I'm not being self-conceited if I do find myself faultless when a relationship goes sour.
I was just there.
The dog obviously found me an easy victim, that's all.

I'm hurt.
I'm shocked.
I've always known trust is an investment.
I have lost this investment.
But I will trust again.

"Do not give dogs what is sacred; do not throw your pearls to pigs. If you do, they may trample them under their feet, and turn and tear you to pieces. - Matt.7.6

No comments: