Wednesday, June 03, 2015

 "When I started working as a cleaner at my age, I felt somewhat ‘paiseh’ (embarrassed), because I knew people were looking down at this profession.
 But then one time, when I was checking on the cleaner’s schedule, an ang mo came up to me and said – ‘Singapore has the cleanest restrooms in the world.
Keep up the good work!’ I was so proud of my job then. That’s when I felt that my job was important, that I was important. That is all I need to be happy now."

After a tiring week of traveling, I finally hopped into a cab and I just happen to stumble upon a very inspirational taxi driver - he told me a lot of his life stories, which I found amazing. He told me about how he wanted to be like Buddha when he was younger, but because one simply couldn't be like Buddha, he just strove to be a happy man instead - and whenever he feels bad, he just gets up, shakes his backside, and sings.

However, one story which he told me really stood out:
'Sometimes near Golden Mile, construction men who don't have money beg taxi drivers to take them back to work and almost all refuse except for me. I believe helping others is good, it benefits them and makes me a happy man. Later these construction men know I am a good man, so they come find me where I always wait for passengers and pay back what they owe me and sometimes even teach me another language, which makes me very happy.'

I found it quite amazing, and once the ride was over, he took the effort of reversing the taxi, and parked it right in front of my destination even though I insisted that it was OK for me to the cross the street. So he said 'I don't think it is safe for such a young girl to be crossing the street', and he stood outside his taxi, making sure I safely entered the building, before driving off.

Taken from Humans Of Singapore

No comments: