Monday, November 21, 2011

I was never the kind of person who would participate in marathons. An occasional stroll around the neighbourhood is all it takes to deceive myself that my body has fulfilled its exercising needs.

After a series of setbacks, I have unconsciously gained 11kg- putting myself in the overweight category. I never really bounced back from the setbacks and I allowed my weight issue to further lower my self-esteem. I have begun to be complacent about life and no longer have the vigour to perk up my lifestyle.

My sister, a marathon runner enthusiast, invited me to take part in the famous Penang Bridge International Marathon. At first, I thought she was mocking me! It was when she emailed me the registration form that I began to consider her suggestion seriously. My sister convinced me that I can just stroll the entire fun-run category while admiring the panoramically beautiful scenery the bridge promises. Just a few clicks on the mouse, and I have both registered and paid for my participation.

On the actual day, I had to wake up at 1am as my sister’s half-marathon category begins at 3.15am. As I was rubbing my eyes, I began to regret. “What have I gotten myself into?” The thought of calling the whole thing off did crossed my mind. When we finally parked the car, I saw many experienced and veteran runners warming up and eating their energy food (a term I recently learnt). I felt slightly intimidated and out of place as the crowd began to soar. But those feeling quickly faded when the drums thundered through the crowd and everyone was cheering and clapping. The joy and excitement was hysterically widespread. I proudly waved to my sister as she started her run.

My 10km fun-run started at 7am and I was already exhausted upon completing only the first 2km. I was a bit worried how I’m going to finish the rest of the run. But my spirits were immediately lifted the moment my eyes caught the magnificent view of the bridge. The sun had just rise, and many runners like me eagerly stopped and took photos. Perhaps it was due to the massive amount of endorphin pumped to my body, suddenly I decided that I want to finish the run within the qualifying time – 1.5 hours.
I began to pace my jogs and walks while checking the time on my watch. The motivation was readily available as there were many other determined runners around me, consisting the elderly and infirmed.

At the last 500 meters, many people who had already completed their earlier category were cheering at the side of the road, some even giving high-fives to encourage the runners. The euphoria at the finishing line was indescribable and I was very relieved that I was qualified for the certificate. While walking back to the car, my head was full of ideas on how to physically prepare myself for a better performance in the next year’s run. As I’m writing this, my legs still sore but my spirits remain high. This run has somewhat probed me into believing in myself that I can do better, be better. I truly believe that every runner will gain some insights about themselves or about life, when they put their determination and endurance into test.


Earlier, I joked that I signed up for this marathon just to have a feel of the previous suicidals on the bridge.
Well, when I was there, I didn't even dare to step too close to the ledge.
I looked down, and wondered to myself the extend of the horrific minds of those who jumped.

No comments: