Wednesday, June 29, 2011

In a Q&A, I answered,

"Only during rare occasions that I 'm able to balance myself on the tight rope and speak sensibly.
By then, most friends have left already, or more often than not, I don't contact them because I'm shameful of my behaviour back when I was unwell.
However, that doesn't mean I don't feel hurt when friends look away when we accidentally bump into each other. More so if they had known me before I had the illness.
It seems, who I was before the illness didn't exist at all.
The illness is all of who I am now.
Again, I can understand that they rather stay away, as I might do the same if I were in their shoes.
But for now, I'm in my own shoes, so it's understandable too that I'm hurt."

1 comment:

Elisha said...

Mental illness is all consuming sometimes, but i believe that there are things that are still inherently 'me'. I don't think the 'old me' has totally disappeared. Just that the 'old me' has a lot of mistakes to learn from and not repeat in future. Does that make any sense? I'm usually the one to look away from friends whom i accidentally bump into, i guess i feel the shame of being ill, not working and not being 'happy'..etc. I really shouldn't be avoiding people but sometimes i just can't help it.