Sunday, December 16, 2018

“What if I missed the chance to let him know the truth, forever?”

I met up with one of my best friends today.
As usual, we chatted about everything under the sun.
We don’t need to self-check when we are together.
We both have the unfortunate similar past which binds us closer than anyone else.

“Did I tell you about this guy?”
“No! Tell, tell !”
I was surprised that I had never mentioned this guy to her.
Did I ? Or did I not?
Or perhaps she forgot?
Bad memory is another unfortunate common trait that we share.

I had to tell her the story from the very beginning.
She was so excited that she kept interrupting me,
“Go for it ! Don’t care! Go!”
I felt oddly surprised that she has such different approach towards this matter.
I continued my narration of the story.

How special he made me feel. How attentive he was.
“ No matter what, I can’t deny how flattering all the attention was. Come on, at our age?” I confessed sheepishly.
“Go for it!” She was relentless.
I giggled at my friend’s enthusiasm. It’s indeed a delight to see her so unusually optimistic.

As my story was about to end, she asked, “What does he do?”
“It never occur to me to ask,”
 I was surprised at this truth. Why didn't I ask him? Oh ya... I had always avoided personal topics between us, to keep the boundaries safe. I couldn't risk misleading him.

“Is he handsome?” she asked.
 I smiled.
“Did I mention he’s Malay?” I suddenly realised I had forgotten to include this element of description.
My friend’s mouth was ajar. “He’s not Chinese?!”
I snorted. How presumptuous of her !
And with that, she seemed to have lost interest in anything I say about him.

I self-reflected a moment.
I never cared about the 3 things that she seemed very concern of.
She on the other hand, doesn’t even consider the worries I shared with her in my story as important as I do.
What an interesting difference between us to ponder on.

I wished that I have more about him to add into my narration.
But alas,now he has chosen to ignore me.
Why isn't he replying my messages? He sensed that I won't respond to him?
I regret that our communication ended hanging like that.
Now both he and I will never know.

I will never forget the fact that I was once cherished by this fine young man.
How he made me blushed.
He has given me a memory so sweet that it will definitely recall a smile in many years to come.
And I need him to know that.
I think of him each time I hear this song by Li Yu Gang 李玉剛; 剛好遇見你

因為我剛好遇見你
Because I just met you
留下足跡才美麗
Leaving the beautiful footsteps
風吹花落淚如雨
the wind blows the flowers and in compliance with the rain weep them
因為不想分離
Because of the unexpected separate

因為剛好遇見你
Because I just met you
留下十年的期許
Leaving behind the ten years expectations
如果再相遇
If we meet again
我想我會記得你
I think I will remember you


No comments: