Monday, April 27, 2015

GEORGE TOWN: While many would indulge themselves on their birthdays, Sukhveer Kaur chose to celebrate her 50th birthday in the streets with the homeless, trishaw riders and passers-by.

Sukhveer and her husband Daljit Singh, who are both cancer survivors, threw a simple yet meaningful tea party in Penang Road on Thursday, the day she turned 50.

Although the weather was quite gloomy after heavy rain, some 60 people from around the area turned up for the party.

Sukhveer, who is a motivational speaker as well as a volunteer at various charitable bodies, treated guests to cakes and drinks.

“I spent my day in the simplest way. I had a simple lunch with my husband and received birthday wishes from my nephews and nieces. The highlight of my day is this meaningful birthday tea party,” she said at the event.

“I always wanted this birthday to be unique. As I like diving and parasailing, I earlier thought of giving myself such a treat.

“But after deeper thought, I didn’t want my birthday to be spent on an expensive meal or to be exclusive. I’d rather have it with the marginalised group,” she said.

“I know many of them (the homeless and trishaw riders) have not celebrated their birthdays for years. I asked them along for the cake-cutting because this is not only my birthday party but theirs as well,” said Sukhveer.

As a cancer survivor who had her stomach removed about seven years ago, Sukhveer treasures every moment of her life. Her husband, Daljit, is also a cancer survivor who had his left kidney removed three years ago.

“Fifty years of life is a blessing to me and I would love to contribute more to the community, especially those living in poverty, and terminally-ill children.”



No comments: